Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Dueling banjos and dueling smokestacks

Its cook-off weekend...no need to check the weather report, rainy and cold. I've never been a big fan of the cook-off. Its a little too exclusive. I don't like the fact that you have to be on "the list" to get into the tents. Velvet ropes are for clubs in California, not beer drinking/hell raising events with assorted meats and sliced onions. That's just wrong in my humble opinion. Maybe FEMA could buy all the meat and beer as a "thank you" to Houston for all our efforts and make it an event open to all.

Will I attend? Yes. Will I critique all the offerings I'm fortunate enough to sample? Most definitely.

What I'm most excited about it the Robert Earl show the Monday after next. That, and catching a few of the cow dog herding competitions. Those border collies are NUTS and its so fun to watch them work.

I'm still lobbying for an adult version of the calf catching event. Why should the kids get to have all the fun?

4 comments:

Sass said...

I forgot all about that - thanks for the reminder. Guess that means i don't know anyone whose big into the rodeo.

Chickenhawk said...

Thank god you said an adult version of the calf catch, and not the sheep riding. Because that would be just plain sick.

Give my regards to REK!

Duly Inspired said...

The cook-off is elitist, I agree. Oh, re your comment about Ms. Hogg? She was born into the name, not married into it. Bless her. Azaleas should be lovely this year, if the little trick worked. The one where 'they' put 800 pounds of ice on the roots to trick them into thinking Winter still lingered.

Okie said...

I don't know what event you speak of, but it sounds awesome Beer, fire, meat, dogs, and REK. Five of my favorite things.