- Secure the border. Use the Guard, but only to work behind the scenes operating all the "new technology." More funding. Mexico is our "friend" and we won't militarize the border. Why to I trust Bubba from South Texas sitting on his tailgate with a pair of binoculars and his trusty iron more than I trust the government to secure the border. No mention of volunteers (they don't require funding.) Sometimes low-tech is pretty darned effective.
- Temporary worker program. I've been hearing that for a LONG time. Not going to happen. It could work, but not until #1 is addressed. Sign them up, make them pay taxes and Social Security.
- Hold employers responsible for hiring illegals. This one is close to my heart. I've said before that all our guys are "documented" and pay taxes just like the rest of us. They won't ever be able to claim their Social Security checks...I know their documents are fake. While I'm no computer whiz, I know it would be so easy to go to a web site or call a phone number with the potential employee's information, push enter and be able to tell if the documents are real.
- There are millions here. We can't get rid of them. But if you've been living here outside of the law for a long time, you get preferential treatment in the amnesty program...No wait, its not amnesty. Its very different. Didn't you hear me? I just said it was not amnesty. Call it whatever you want. I don't care.
- America is a melting pot. Immigrants should assimilate, learn English, yadda yadda. Can we start by having ballots printed in English only?
Only a brief mention of how the illegal immigration problem is affecting our schools. Nothing at all about the effect on hospitals, healthcare insurance costs or the impact of uninsured drivers cruising the roads that we pay for.
Nothing on the "Anchor Babies." Any kid squirted out here is an American citizen. What are we going to do? Deport the parents?
I heard a lot of "increased funding" talk. There was no mention of an exorbanant tax on all wire transfers to Mexico to help pay for it.
Oh, and there was one more hole. NOTHING about the fact that there is a force out their that wants to harm Americans for no other reason that we are Americans. What do you know...they have dark skin and dark hair. They can pass as the humble immigrant crossing the border to find a better life for them and their family. That, my friends, is unacceptable. Mr. President, its not just about illegal immigration. Its about our safety.
During the address, Molly and Tess had a spirited debate. I think it was over the fact that Molly is getting old and tired and content to just keep electing the same folks just because they have an (R) associated with their name on the ballot. Tess is a firm believer in traditional Conservative philosophy. Don't worry, I'll bring Molly around.