Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Tess is my hero

Tess is generally a worthless dog unless you are cold and need the warmth of of a dog's butt in your face, or if you need to be alerted to a squirrel on the roof at 3 am, or if you have a frisbee that needs some catching. Early this morning she proved that she might not be as worthless as she seems.

I have been scared to death of snakes since junior high when I surprised a rattlesnake as much as it surprised me. That snake went for my shin that was covered by jeans and some good boots. I got lucky. So, yea, I don't trust or have any affection for snakes.

6:30 this morning rolls around and it's time to take the girls out for a potty break before work and Tess wandered the yard for a bit before becoming obviously agitated. My initial thought was that there was a frog or something she was harassing. Wrong. Copperhead.

It lasted about 3 seconds. My hero eliminated an imminent threat. I don't know how dogs know that something is afoul, but they do.

She has had multiple once-overs to look for bite marks and the vet has been notified that I may be calling if needed. Not to worry. I'm 99.9% sure that everything is just fine and that Tess is in no danger whatsoever. I still won't sleep tonight because I've been through this with Molly after an encounter with a water moccasin.

Everyone else can sleep easy knowing that there is one less poisonous snake hanging around.

3 comments:

Duly Inspired said...

Atta girl Tess! Way to protect the man of the house.

Charlie said...

OMG, copperheads, rattlesnakes, water moccasins... Texas sounds like a scary place -- it's a good thing you have Tess!!

Najia said...

Reason #55 million why I love dogs. You go Tess!