Friday, April 28, 2006

May Day protests

I'm sure the news on Monday will be all about the walk out aimed at crippling the economy for a day. I'd like to get in on the action before they shut down the internet. Here goes.

I work in the landscape industry. Guess what? There are a lot of Mexicans who have chosen the same line of work. Shocking, I know. 75% of the time, I'm locked in my comfortable, air conditioned office coloring pretty pictures, the other 25% I spend in the trenches with our crews directing traffic, berating our foremen for not being able to read my mind, eating lunch from taco trucks and relieving myself in port-a-cans. That said, I know a thing or two about the immigration situation.

I'll begin the rant by saying that most of our guys have been with us for at least 3 years. They truly are the hardest working men I've ever known. Yesterday, I learned that they were thinking about joining the walk-out to intentionally bite the hand that feeds them. You see, our guys aren't undocumented immigrants. They all have "Social Security cards" and "Green Cards."

I know all their "documents" are fake. But take heart dear tax payer reading this, they all pay their taxes as prescribed by the IRS, just like you. No cash under the table...even if it would mean that I'd be able to afford a Jeep as a second car, but I digress.

We had a meeting last night over how to handle the situation if they did decide to walk out on Monday. Our position is this: Go ahead. Take the day off. Protest. Enjoy many more days off too. You won't have a job here after the protest. I got the nod to have the heart-to-heart with them this morning to explain what was up.

6:45 I was at the office. At about 7 they all started rolling in. By 7:15 everyone was wondering why I was there so early. Everyone knew something was up. "No, don't hitch up just yet. Step inside. We need to talk."

The theme of the ensuing conversation was all about mutual respect. We can't make any money without them. They can't make any money without us. We've tried hiring Americans to do the work our guys do...they usually last about 3 days before they go MIA.

Here is how we left it...Y'all work so hard for us and you can count on us working just as hard for you when and IF anything is done beyond saber rattling from both political parties.

One thing you can count on...there is one company that requires all its employees to pay taxes just like all of us working Joes. They all know they are operating outside the law. Falsifying federal documents is a felony, and I have them all scanned into my computer.

I'll bet you all a dollar that nothing substantial will be done about it. Its hurting all of us. Write, call and email your elected officials and give them a piece of your mind. I'm willing to take a hit on the bottom line if you are willing to harass your Congressmen and Senators.

End rant. How about a picture of Tess-a-mess?

2 comments:

Southern Fried Girl said...

Being that I was born and raised in CA, I am well acquainted with the Mexican immigration problem. I don't know. I honestly don't know where I stand on this issue. Most of the illegals that I was aware of did bust their asses every day while thousands of our fellow Americans were on the damn dole. I am a tad jaded on this. I mean, why kick out perfectly good people, many of whom work hard, pay taxes and don't shoot up the hoods. Some of them do - true. However, a lot of them don't.

Like I said - I just don't know.

However, I DO know that your dog is so cute.

Adam said...

SFG...I apreciate your response. I too am torn. If they ever ask me to chose sides, I'll be on the side that knows the words to Yankee Doodle.

Now take the bandana off of that poor dog,please?