Thursday, December 27, 2007

Changes...

Well, the end of 2007 has brought a mountain of changes into my life. Let's start with the positive...

Our tiny little construction and design business that started out in an rv storage shed has grown and today began moving into a new facility as a part of a merger with another very well respected company in the area. Together we will become the best company in the area. The big guys down in Houston have been trying to carve a market in "our" 'hood for about 2 years and we decided that we weren't going to let that happen.

We will be moving to a house on a piece of land close to most of our more lucrative construction projects. Here is the part where it gets exciting. The house is not large enough to accommodate all the office employees, so tomorrow a portable office trailer is being delivered to house all design related operations! After five years, I will have my own space 100% dedicated to design. It's not much, but this is the separation from daily operations I've been waiting for. There are a ton of drawings that have to be cranked out and I've not been able to be very effective with the constant interruptions. Privacy and quiet are essential for the creative process...I'm finally going to get what I need to do what I love!

Our new partner also has a son who will be my "CAD monkey." The only problem is that he has no knowledge of drafting, drawing or CAD, but he is "good with computers." We'll see how that works out. When I told a friend that, he said that it sounds like all I have is a "monkey." I suspect that it won't be long before he is reassigned.

We'll be onward and upward by the end of January, hopefully sooner.

Now the not so pleasant changes. Poodle and Schnauzer will no longer be making visits to annoy Molly and Tess. Poodle and I always had a love/hate relationship. I hate to admit it, but I miss that little f'er! I remember the night that I got a 12-pack of beer while dog sitting and made it my mission to teach Tess that it was not ok to eat poodles. Sure, poodles are roughly the same size as large squirrels. Tess had a "come to Jesus" night that night and Poodle never had any open wounds inflicted by Tess after she met "God."

Still, every time a car drives by or they hear a little jingle, Molly and Tess rush to the door waiting for those damn dogs to rush in. I think they are really missing their buddies.

2 comments:

Snow White said...

Adam,
Sorry to hear about the loss of the poodle and the schnauzer, but it's really good to see you blogging again! Welcome back.

Duly Inspired said...

Very exciting news about the merger and your new creating space! Sorry about the loss of P and S...