Friday, December 08, 2006

If you're scared, get a dog...

...but what if your dogs are scared too? My dogs each have one quirky item that sends them into panic mode.

Molly freaks out when I bring out my big blue exercise ball. When she sees it, she darts to the bedroom to "hide" under the bed. She can only get her head under there, but because she is a dog, she believes in the principle of "if I can't see you, then you can't see me." Sometimes when nothing is on tv, I'll shut the bedroom door and chase her around the house and marvel at her evasive maneuvering skills. Fortunately for poor Molly, the exercise ball was designed for ab workouts...so it rarely comes out of the closet. I don't know why I even call it an exercise ball. I never use it for its intended purpose. From this point on I'll start calling it a Molly tormenting ball.

Tess has always been pretty fearless, but she too has a phobia. Hers is much tastier than Molly's. Tess' panic attacks occur in 3 minute 30 second spurts. They usually occur just before I put in a movie. Yep, Tess freaks out at the sound of microwave popcorn popping. She will creeeeep into the kitchen to investigate. Then haul ass out with her tail between her legs. Then she'll creeeeep back in ever so cautiously. Then haul ass again. Then she'll creeeeep back in....well, I think you get the point. Needless to say, microwave popcorn is always on the grocery list.

Are they scared of thunderstorms? No. Thunder usually means rain, and rain is wet, and wet makes mud, and mud is fun. Are they scared of fireworks? No. Fireworks sound like shotguns, and shotguns mean birds are falling from the sky, and retrieving birds for your lazy owner is fun too. Sorry Molly, we didn't go this year. Next year, I promise! You can show Tess the ropes.

All I've got is a big blue Molly tormenting ball and my buddy Orville. What are your dogs afraid of?

6 comments:

Mrs. S. said...

They are too cute for words!!

Gretchen, just like my five-year-old, is afraid of thunder. I'd like to be able to tell the kid to go back to bed and I'll send the dog in there with you, but it's kind of hard to do when the dog refuses to come out from behind your legs...

Snow White said...

My dog isn't really afraid of anything that I've noticed, but she will leave the room if I call the cat...

Duly Inspired said...

Bringing shame to her breed, Cheyenne is afraid of dead birds. She's also afraid of horses and turtles. And an empty food bowl.

always kris said...

Like Red's dog, my dog is also afraid of thunder. She starts shivering at the sound of the weather alert that beeps on the tv. Her ears perk up like, "Oh NO! WTH?!?" She is also afraid of our momma cat after she got too close to a new litter of kittens....once! (that was all it took)

Golden Dreams said...

Well, we found out this weekend that Cameron is afraid of police sirens. Apparently he was a criminal before we got him. Now ask me what Ferris ISN'T afraid of. LOL

twisted panties said...

The list of what my Boston is scared of is long. But he and the mini dox (who is usually fearless) are afraid of the broom. Makes sense I guess as I pretend to be afraid of it so I don't have to use it. But it is not as funny when my husband pokes it at me like he does to the dogs.